The Yogi's Morning Coffee - Bhastrika PranayamaJan 09, 2023
The Yogi's morning cup of coffee is a pranayama (energy control) practice called Bhastrika breathing. The practice brings energy to the body and the mind in a healthful and clarifying way, leaving no residue of toxicity or side effects, so it is a natural alternative to the stimulating and elevating sensation of a morning coffee.
Why Practice Bhastrika Pranayama:
- It brings energy to the body and uplifts the mind.
- It will stimulate blood circulation to the brain which brings great clarity.
- It increases digestive power and improves metabolism.
- It stimulates your central nervous system inducing gamma brainwaves which are seen in states of universal love, altruism and higher virtues.
How to Practice Bhastrika Pranayama:
It is best to do this on an empty stomach.
The practice is a forceful inhale and a forceful exhale through the nose.
- Sit comfortably with your spine straight and shoulders relaxed.
- Rest your hands facing upward on your thighs.
- Take a nice long inhale, exhale naturally and on your next inhale begin with a forceful inhale, followed by a forceful exhale.
- Use precision and concentration. Focus on the concentrated area of the movement of energy, or prana going in through the nose, down the passageway and out. Maintain the energy, focus and force in this area only keeping the rest of your body and face completely relaxed.
- Start with a round of 12, and then relax for 30 seconds. Feel the energy moving up through your body, your astral spine.
If you feel up for it, do another round of 24 breaths. You can increase the breath counts from here as you gain more experience and comfort with the practice.